We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

PRESS RELEASE - Waltham Forest Labour are letting our schools down

August 7, 2012 6:30 PM
Councillor Liz Phillips has raised concerns about Waltham Forest council's contractor Babcock after it was revealed that almost 15% of the Borough's schools are now in special measures following their two years as the council's contractor.

In a written answer to Cllr Phillips, the Labour Cabinet member, Cllr Clare Coghill described the council's risk analysis programme for schools as 'a work in progress' and said that the council's priority had been 'savings of £2m from the contract at an early opportunity'.

Councillor Liz Phillips, Waltham Forest Lib Dem spokesperson for Children and Member of the Council's Corporate Parenting Board, said:

"Almost 15% of our schools are now in special measures and yet the council won't be seeking any compensation from the contractor who presided over this mess."

"Surely there should be something in our contract with this company that means at the very least they must pay for failing local kids and their parents?"

"In Waltham Forest we are now on our 4th Labour cabinet member for Children's Services in just over two years. Perhaps if someone with a bit of experience would take responsibility for more than a few months then we wouldn't be in this situation?"